Writing essays is a skill many of us have forgotten. But don't worry – here are a few tips to help you and your child, even if you're not familiar with the essay topic.
- Determine 'what is the question asking?'
- Essays follow a specific formula
- Introduction – state your response to the question and mention the points to be made in the body of the essay.
- Body – expand on the points introduced in the introduction. Don't introduce new thoughts at this stage.
- Conclusion – summarise the points discussed in the body.
- One idea per paragraph.
- Proofreading your child's essays helps them and lets you stay in touch with what they're doing at school.
Find out more about essay writing on the School A to Z website.